Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Earn a Scholarship and Get Recruited

Should swearing be part of coaching?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BB-Famer View Drop Down

Quote BB-Famer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should swearing be part of coaching?
    Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 8:10am
When kids get to high school and above at times swearing gets their attention and helps them realize that the focus needs to step up. I don' t think that occasional swearing is a bad thing, it should not be directed at any one individual, but rather in a general fashion.  Some of the best coaches in basketball have sworn at one time or another. I watched a John Wooden special where even he said that he had on a rare occasion sworn, but wasn't proud of it.

Edited by BB-Famer - 31 Jan 2008 at 4:22pm
Hoopin View Drop Down

Quote Hoopin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 8:13am
With some boys programs you need to get their attention and let them know that you mean business. Swearing will get them to understand that you mean business. Used on occasion it helps send out the message.
Clippers View Drop Down

Quote Clippers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 12:17pm
Sometimes it helps kids become more mentally tough. Basketball has become a very physical sport, a little bit of in your face swearing will make mentally tough as well as physically tough. I’m not advocating swearing on a regular basis but now and then it helps send the message.
Lady Sparks View Drop Down

Quote Lady Sparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 11:47am
Am I missing something, I don't see how swearing is going to make things any better. Swearing isn't going to help you win basketball games.
SoCalFan View Drop Down

Quote SoCalFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2008 at 1:28pm
There is a lot of truth to that song that says: "You gotta be cruel to be kind, in the right measure". Sometimes it takes a good kick (don't take that literally) to be heard.
 Post Reply Post Reply